Saturday, February 19, 2011

Anns Quilt - Label


Anns Quilt - Label
Originally uploaded by ava99riley00
A close up of the label.

I think labels are very important. I like to tell the story of the quilt, although it can get tedious tracing the writing. This forces me to edit. (As you may know by now, I tend to be very wordy.) Here's how I do it:

I design the label on my computer and pick a nice font. Often I use a handwriting-like font, but since Ann is an architect, I chose an all caps font that kinda looks like the hand writing from blueprints. (Does anyone hand write blue prints any more?)  A plethora of nice handwriting fonts are at Kevin and Amanda blog.

I resized and copied the NC State logo after downloading it from the North Carolina State University web site.

I traced the design and writing using a Pigma Micron pen (permanent, archive quality ink). It looks better if I draw each line twice.

I colored in the logo. I used my Marvy Uchida pigment pens - I didn't know if it would work, but it did. This photo was taken after one washing.

Finally, I trimmed the muslin to the desired size and hand appliqueed it down on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment