Saturday, May 14, 2011

Block of the Month

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I was trying a block of the month this year. It's through mail order, and they send me the pattern and the fabric at the beginning of every month. I have meant to post these blocks, since they're cute. Here they are!

The Block of the Month is called "Starry Night" and it's produced by Swirly Girl Designs. I did not see any of these designs before I signed up. Somewhat of a risk, but I figured if worse came to worse, I could always donate the quilt.

January

February

March

April

You could sign up for a "cool" colorway, a "warm" colorway, or Kaffe Fassett. Obviously, I chose the Kaffe Fassett. I don't have much Kaffe Fassett in my stash and thought it would be a good way to play with some without committing too much. 

The block of the month is run by Wish Upon a Quilt, a cute little shop in Raleigh, NC. They have an active online presence. The fabric sent for each block is generous  - they send just enough of the black (with a little room for error), and a whole fat quarter of each of the other two fabrics. That explains the price tag - this is not really a cheap BOM. It comes to around $15 a month (with tax and shipping). 

I'm pleased with the fabrics so far, although, I don't like the March block so much. In the picture, the contrast between the blue and the green appears more pronounced than it does in real life. The colors don't harmonize well, to me. However, sometimes a block like this adds more character to the quilt. 

The fabric for the May block arrived early this past week. I'd better get a move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment