Tuesday, October 11, 2011

J & O Fabrics

I went to J&O fabrics yesterday. So exciting - I've been on their email list for about a year now, joined up when I was looking for a special fabric for a scrub cap (back when I made scrub caps to sell on Etsy).

I have been in NJ for some family business and a little time away, and our travels took us near Pennsauken, NJ. I was driving at that time, so I told everyone we were stopping. No if, ands, or buts about it.

J&O Fabrics specializes in novelty print cotton fabric. They have the widest selection of cute, rare, and curious prints. Need fabric with Spiderman on it? A potato chip print? The Jetsons? Boy Scout prints? Any American pro sports or college team? They have it, and usually more than one to choose from.

This store is the kind of old time fabric store that speaks "authenticity" to me - racks of bolts and rolls in a warehouse-like building located in an industrial part of town. About 1/4 of the store is home dec, upholstery, and utility fabric. They also offer a selection of vintage 70s cotton prints in all their Holly-Hobby glory, and they have a decent offering of garment fabrics. They have a nice selection of trim, as well. No fancy displays, no sewing gimicks, no kits, no sewing machines, no furniture. There's a small no-nonsense section of essential notions. A couple of pattern books. This place is for serious fabric shoppers. Ya just gotta dig through it.

I was looking for a print called "Halloween Hunks." Beefcake men dressed in slightly naughty Halloween costumes - they look like a bunch of Chippendale's dancers. It came out in 2008 (no pun intended) but not reprinted, so it's not easy to find right now. Lo and behold they had it! Totally goofy but it will make some terrifically tacky pajama pants.

Dear husband was with me, so he needed fabric in the coordinating cheesecake ladies Halloween print for his matching pair of PJ pants. Dad was also with us - he spotted the University of Virginia fleece.  He's a big fan. I told him I'd make a stadium throw out of the orange and blue panel. That was added to the collection.

They had the best selection of the fruit and vegetable prints I'd seen anywhere, so I added a 1/2 yard each of tomatoes and peppers to my collection

I have pictures at J&O Fabrics, will post when I get home later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment