Friday, April 6, 2012

Blocks of the Month: I forget which months

I promised some pictures....and I'm good for it!  Here's one of the Starry Night Blocks of the Month. (See my previous post about the BOM from last year.)

The upheaval in my personal life last summer, when my mom died, put everything on hold for a while, including this BOM. I collected the block kits as they arrived in the mail and completed a couple of them by the end of the year. I found I had 3 left to do when I was packing up for the retreat last weekend.  I brought them along. I hoped to get all three done, but only managed to finish 2 of them.

Here they are:


I also received the instructions for setting the blocks to complete the top. I tell you what - I just don't like the setting at all. Boring. The blocks are traditional in a contemporary fabric, and I would like to do a more modern setting. Ideas are coming...here are three thoughts: a wonky setting on a black background so the "stars" are floating in the night sky; vertical rows of 6 with black sashing and background fabric; something with solids in the predominant color of the block.

The thing that puzzles me is that the instructions said to keep the extra fabric for the top completion, but the setting they sent didn't use very much of that extra fabric. Weird.

In all, I'm glad I did a block of the month, but I'm not sure I'll do it again. Maybe it's a control thing - I didn't like not having control and when I didn't like the end result, it was really unsatisfying.

All is not lost - I have approximately 24 pieces of Kaffe Fassett in my stash now! Woo!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the orange and yellow block against the black.

    ReplyDelete