Sunday, May 6, 2012

Springtime: Lots of Work to be Done!

It has been a warm spring and that means we're out in the garden early this year.

I have been lax in taking pictures of my crafts for posting. Here's one thing I have been doing instead of crafting: working our plot at the Overland Park Community Garden.

Looking West on Our Plot 4/28/12

Last year I'd planted half a plot and donated all of the produce to the local food bank. This year, I invited others from my church to help with the garden, and I reserved a whole plot. Two weeks after our first workday this is the result. Onions in the foreground, then two rows of beets. Down at the other end, we planted lettuce, spinach, and carrots.

Yesterday, two of my teammates and I went out and put in most of the warm season vegetables: tomatoes, parsley, basil, peppers, and marigolds. I didn't feel like bringing the camera, though I really should have.

We're calling the project "Grace Garden." This is a specific project of the KAIROS group at my church, Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church. KAIROS is a ministry (i.e. a subgroup) of church members who believe in social justice, peace, and environmental responsibility as essential values of Christian living. This translates into environmental, justice-oriented, and anti-war projects.

Our goal for the garden is 100 lbs of food. If things grow well, I don't think we'll have a problem reaching that goal, at all.

The group of volunteers wanted to coordinate our efforts online. I found this site: Cozi. It's designed for multiple users to work with a calendar and manage tasks together - really, it's for a family. We're kinda like that, so we're giving it a try. Best of all it's free. We just have to tolerate ads that are rather family oriented (diapers or minivans, anyone??).  We'll see how it goes.

So I've been working on the Grace Garden for 3 months now. I haven't done much to plan my own garden - isn't that always the way? I bought some tomatoes, pulled out my seeds and threw them in yesterday.

God is helping out both Grace Garden and my garden, though. We're having a beautiful rain this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment